Saturday, December 11, 2010

Putting the Pieces Together

It always amazes me to see how the raw bits of a craft come together to make something useful and/or beautiful. A dried old log can become a beautiful wooden bowl, as we've seen at the store, or a pile of glass scraps can become an attempt to freeze the beauty of God's creation to be enjoyed. I've been looking at bird feathers; seeing how imperfect each feather may be but it is a critical part of the whole. I'm amazed that no feather of any bird or butterfly has a pigment that can be used to reproduce the color. So I've been toying with the idea of this tropical bird for a while. Here are the results so far.
I start with scraps of glass, a bit with a certain "grain" or "imperfection" that catches my eye as it reflects or filters the light.
Then, apply the pattern and do a lot of cutting and grinding (trying not to include my person in the cutting!) then its assembling the pattern.....
and you'll have to wait for me to take the next step to see the process. But here's a sneak peak at what I'm aiming at.
So as you see the cardinal, jays and chickadees around, be amazed that each hair on the feather is actually refracting the light in a specific pattern that makes the color of the bird. Our God is so meticulous in design and we are all so very privileged to be either grateful or just plain amazed.....then be thankful.

1 comment:

sue said...

so many wonderful things happening at your farm!!! I just love reading all about them.... the little angels are GREAT!!! I love my cross that Wayne made for me!!!keep up the good work....