Friday, December 31, 2010

A Gift That Can't be Wrapped

I started a tradition many years ago of making each of the children a quilt every 5 years. This year Nathanial received one for his birthday. He didn't receive a finished quilt...just the top. For Christmas I wanted to complete his quilt and make one for Matthew. (Matthew didn't get one for his 20th birthday so I owed him one.) I also had seen a quilt kit in a catalog that I knew Jonathan would love. I've had the quilt kit for many months, but didn't get around to putting it together until this month. I also wanted to give a special gift to our friend Bob. He helps so much throughout the year, that I really wanted to make him a quilt. Two weeks before Christmas I found a flannel quilt kit at a local quilting store that was labeled "A 2-Hour Quilt". I figured I could find 2 hours within the 2 weeks. With some late night sewing I did finish the quilts in time for Christmas giving.

Christmas afternoon I had the gift of seeing my 3 sons enjoying their new quilts (Jonathan is underneath the solar system quilt)...
And I can't forget the dog...
One of the best parts of making handcrafts is seeing people enjoy them.

No comments: