Monday, May 24, 2010

Jonathan's Birthday

Jonathan turned 7 on Friday, the 21st. He had a special gift this year in that Gramma J. and Uncle Dan arrived on Tuesday and stayed for a visit until the 23rd. Gramma made his birthday cake...
Back in December or January Jonathan went to the store with our friend Bob and they looked at the toys. Jonathan discovered a big set of Legos that was a fire station and accessories. He really wanted to buy it, but Bob explained that it was too expensive and maybe he'd get it for his birthday. Bob didn't realize how good a memory Jonathan can have when he sets his mind on something. For months I have been asked, "How soon is my birthday? When I turn 7 I'll have the most expensive Lego fire station set, right?" I priced the set several weeks ago and Wayne and I decided it was too expensive. We resigned ourselves to having to explain to Jonathan that sometimes you have to settle for something a little less expensive and be thankful for what you have. While I was in Maine I went to a store to look for gifts for the family back home in NY. I strolled through the toy department and looked up...there was the Lego fire station set at $30 less than the price in NY! I called Wayne on my cell phone and he told me to go ahead and purchase it. This was the look of joy when he opened the present...He also got another set from Bob that had more fire equipment.The great thing about Legos is that the whole gang enjoys creating with them. It's great seeing the kids having fun building together.
The other highlight of the day for Jonathan was Wayne getting the small, inflatable swimming pool out and ready for 'swimming'. Jonathan, Ian, and Katelyn had a wonderful time for the rest of the afternoon.

No comments: