Monday, May 24, 2010

Exciting News Update

This afternoon Katelyn and I took Sophie a treat (a carrot and some goat milk) and checked to see if the little 'fur pile' was still moving. It is. When I went to leave the barn, I reached up to take out the plastic bag I had placed one of the dead kits in this morning. As I picked up the bag, I realized that something was moving in the bag...the 'dead' kit was breathing and moving! We placed it gently back into the nest and hope that Sophie will accept and nurse it. Thankfully, I was wearing plastic gloves when I picked the kit up this a.m. so it didn't have my scent on it. I wonder if she had given birth to it on the cage floor and that was why it was so cold and lifeless. By putting it in the plastic bag and leaving it on top of a spare cage it must have been like an incubator for the little kit. We'll keep you updated on the 7 little ones in the days to come.

No comments: