Friday, September 11, 2009

Busy September Days

Today definitely reminded us that the fall weather is on its way. With temps only getting up into the low 60's and a chilly rain, the wood fire took the chill off the house and provided the heat to simmer a chicken soup for dinner tonight.

The past few days I've been doing a lot of spinning...both on my wheel and hand spindle. On Thursday I took my hand spindle along for the latest trip to the ER. Wayne's pain level was extreme yesterday so he needed to get the 'heavy duty pain killer' via IV. While he was receiving the 'heavy duty meds' I was spinning away on my hand spindle. He was very considerate and was ready to be discharged just as I spun the last of the roving in my bag. Tonight I finished plying 2 skeins of Flashdancer's yarn. I washed the skeins to set the twist and now they are drying in our toasty mudroom near the woodstove.

This morning I started baking for tomorrow's market day that my friend sells at. She called as the crescent rolls were rising and told me that she was sick and wouldn't be manning the tent tomorrow. I switched to Plan B and after forming the crescent rolls, placed them in the freezer so I can bake them off next Friday. I made up some gluten free rolls so Marc could have some with the soup instead of biscuits and froze the rest for next week. I was tempted to go ahead and make the gluten free cookies and put them in the freezer, but I knew they probably would be discovered before next week. I'll have to make them later--or double the batch and hide the extra in the bottom of one of the freezers!

Tomorrow, if all goes well, Wayne, Katelyn and I are planning to attend a Fiber Festival that is just over the Pennsylvania border. Wayne has never been able to attend a fiber festival with me so we're hopeful that he'll be up to the trip tomorrow. It's only a little over an hour's drive and it's a small festival so it shouldn't be as taxing as some of the bigger festivals held farther away.

Katelyn thinks she wants to learn how to spin so I gave her some practice at treadling on my wheel this evening. I think she's trying to get her dad to agree to some sheep on the farm. She keeps reading the ads in the local pennysaver and lets us know when sheep are listed. I tease her and tell her that Captain provides a nice fleece so we don't need sheep. She asks when I'm going to start spinning his fur. She better watch it...I might just try after the next haircut!

No comments: