Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gardens


With all the rain we've had this summer, the gardens are definitely green. We've been harvesting peas, beans, and lettuce for a few weeks now. We pulled up the first planting of peas the other day and since the weather is so cool, we've planted a third planting of peas. The second planting is just now coming into production.My herb gardens are bursting and the bees are VERY happy. I'm starting to dry the herbs for potpourri.

Unfortunately we've also seen lots of snakes this year...more than we've ever seen in the past 11 years. The other day I was picking beans and Jonathan came into the garden. He yelled "Ow! Oh, I just stepped on a snake!" I asked where and he told me it was gone. I asked him which way it went and he pointed at me! I made sure that I made lots of noise and pounded my feet a few times so it would go in another direction. I don't like growing snakes in the garden!

1 comment:

sue said...

THAT would take care of Ed's gardening days... he and snakes... NO WAY... they don't really bother me as long as I know they are there... get Captain out there and teach him to be a snake chaser!!! and earn his keep.... and yes, we would still like a blue and white bunting if you care to ship it....