Saturday, March 8, 2008

Raindrops and Rabbits...

It's still raining and the puddles are getting bigger and bigger. Thankfully we had a sunny day on Thursday which helped dry up some of the water before this latest drenching. The river is getting higher, but thankfully, it's not any higher than is typical during spring thaw.


Yes, I am insisting that spring is here before the calendar says...all my snowmen and winter themed decorative items have been put away. I started washing windows and curtains this a.m. (That's a sign to the kids that it's spring.)
For the past 2 weeks in our local "Pennysaver" there has been an ad for an 8 month old angora rabbit. It caught my eye because they were only asking $10 for it (angoras typically go for a lot more). I mentioned it to Wayne and he smiled and asked if I was going to call. I shrugged and put the number aside...The ad was in the paper the 2nd week and I commented that the 'angora is still listed'. Wayne said that I should call to check it out. I hesitated because I didn't know if we really needed another animal to deal with right now. Well, last night my dear husband asked, "Did you call about the angora?" I shook my head 'no' and he told me to go call and find out the story behind it. Well, I couldn't NOT call after he told me to call so-o-o...
This is "Arthur"...he was bought at an auction when he was only about 4 weeks old...a matted little furball of a bunny. The lady who bought him brought him home and started working out all the knots in his fur and loved on him. His fur kept getting longer, longer, and longer. She then realized she had an angora. She already had several lion-headed rabbits and a beautiful lop. Ann has arthritis and other medical issues and was finding it harder to comb him out each week. She knew that she needed to find him a home where he'd be cared for and appreciated for his beautiful fur. She had several responses to her ad, but many people were looking for an "Easter bunny" pet or didn't know what an angora was. When I called her last night she was pleased to hear from someone who knew what an angora was, their special grooming needs, and had some experience with rabbits. Rachael and I went to meet Arthur this afternoon and he came home with us. If all goes as planned, Ann will get something made from the yarn Arthur furnishes.
So...our profile has changed again...we're back to having 3 rabbits!

3 comments:

sue said...

WHAT a handsome fellow.... if I didn't have FOUR guinea pigs, I would take a look at one of those!!!! but one pet bunny, four piggies, two cats, six dogs and three horses.... think that should be enough for now.... oh my, can you think what it will be like when we get up on the farm!!!!!

Anonymous said...

See Here or Here

Unknown said...

hi Linda
Don't know if you remember us-Rick and Rose-from Rochester, NH??? If I have the right Linda and Wayne Jackson would be great to hear from you-was lots of years ago, we remember you and our trips to Childrens hospital to see Nathaniel-would love to hear from you-wulfden@cin.net