Sunday, May 19, 2013

Three More Bags Full!

Yesterday our sheep gave me their wool to enjoy in my fiber pursuits. Before leaving, our shearer gave me the name and number of another local farmer who had a very nice fleece that she couldn't use.  The woman wanted to give it to someone who would put it to good use.  The shearer told me that it was a fleece with little v.m. (vegetable matter) and I'd be able to jump in and spin without too much skirting.  Well, being a fiber fanatic, I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a good fleece!  I got directions and picked up a beautiful cream fleece with wonderful crimp (that's good in fiber language).

This afternoon I received a call from the shearer.  "Linda, I'm about to drive by your house and I have three beautiful fleeces that were going to be thrown out.  I thought of you.  Do you want them?"  She went on to describe the color and qualities of the fleece.  My response, "I'll meet you in my driveway!"  I grabbed some garbage bags to store them and we emptied her trunk...three  bags full of beautiful, soft, wool that my hands are just itching to skirt, wash, and spin.  One is a deep black, another is a silvery black, and the final one is a gorgeous white.

Wayne is wondering why we are raising farm animals if it's this easy to get good fiber.  I think that there is something special about raising the animal that gives the wool...I just have to help him see it from that perspective. 

The shearer is happy to share the bounty of her profession with a fellow spinner.  Unfortunately, she has little time to spin and has quite a collection of fleece from previous seasons.  She told me that her husband would not be happy if she brought any additional bags home so I'm able to reap an abundant wool harvest this spring.  

Excuse me, but I think I'll go wash some wool...

No comments: