Saturday, May 7, 2011

Critters on the Farm

This past week the alpacas were sheared and now look extremely skinny. I'll have to get a picture of them, but I'll post the other pics I got around the farm this afternoon.

This is "Noodle Neck" one of the turken roosters that came in a barnyard 'laying hen' flock that my dad had sent to Marc last year.This is 'Timmy' one of the bucks we got last year. He likes to sleep in an old doghouse.
And here are the newest additions to the farm..."Licorice" and "Bit O' Honey"...
You may remember that last Mothers' Day my wonderful family sent me on vacation to Maine and New Hampshire for some rest and relaxation. I started the time away in New Hampshire by attending the NH Sheep and Wool Festival. This year I couldn't make that far of a trip so my husband gave me a 'day trip' to Lee, MA to see and get some wool on legs. Marc joined me on my journey.

A week or so ago we got a call from a friend who works with the Cooperative Extension. She told Wayne there was a very interesting post on the list serv that Cornell runs listing available livestock and/or requests for livestock. We checked out the post...2 merino/cormo cross rams looking for a new 'fiber only' home for FREE. Wayne told me to go ahead and reply to the posting and later in the day he called the woman who posted the sheep. She had posted for a friend and told Wayne that the sheep were wonderful fiber animals. Later that night the owner of the sheep called. She and I talked quite a bit and to make a long story short, the next evening I called her to say we'd like the sheep. We arranged for me to drive up to Massachusetts this a.m. to bring the 2 boys home.

I have transported rabbits and goats in our van, but I never expected to transport sheep! Once we got them into the van they settled in for the 2.5 hour trip to their new home. We stopped for gas in Lee since it's 5 cents cheaper on that side of the border, and I wondered if the people behind us at the pump could see what we had in the back end of the van when I took this picture.We stopped for lunch and the sheep waited patiently. While Marc was eating his tacos, an inquisitive sheep tried sniffing his lunch.These 2 cuties are definitely a wonderful Mothers' Day gift!

2 comments:

sue said...

OH>>> HOW GRAND!!! I am so excited for you... Macr with new animals to tend, and more fiber to add to your spinning... what a great Mother's Day Treat!!!! congrats!~!!!!!

sue said...

PS.. I meant "Marc"...sorry for the misspelling, sometimes this hand of mine doesn't cooperate...