Thursday, August 19, 2010

County Fair 2010

This afternoon Marc, Rachael, Katelyn and I went to the Delaware County Fair. The fairgrounds are so well maintained and there are beautiful perenial flower beds lining the driveway and the fairground. All the volunteers are so friendly and helpful. It's no wonder that it's one of the most popular county fairs in the area (there are 4 counties that intersect in this part of NY).
The girls loved seeing the horses and took quite a few pictures of the riders being judged.

There is the yearly butter sculpture...this year it's a sheep being sheared. I wonder if this is the sculptor's revenge for being told when he was young not to play with his food! The detail to the piece is amazing. I wish it showed more in the picture.
Katelyn thought this sheep's coat was cute...
My favorite part is going through the exhibit halls to see all the handwork. This appliqued quilt was beautiful. The stripes on the border are prints of a railroad track on a gravel bed. Once again the picture doesn't do the quilt justice.
Maybe someday I'll get to the point of submitting a quilt, but for now I just go and admire all the beautiful work done by the local quilters. I look forward to next year's entries!

No comments: