Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dreaming in February

A few of you know that Wayne and I have a dream of starting a mini-mill venture on our farm. We've been researching for several years, and due to his medical condition, see this as a potential answer to an income for our family. It will take a lot of work and $, but we believe that if this is what we're supposed to be doing, God will continue to open doors and provide the resources. Using solar power/heat/hot water, we hope to provide cleaning and carding services for the small flock owners (both alpaca and sheep) that seem to be cropping up everywhere. It's not uncommon for a farm to have only a few fiber animals. Often they are unable to find a mill that doesn't require a minimum weight of fiber to be processed. By focusing on the cleaning and carding, we'll be able to provide added value to their fiber animals and supply roving and batts for a growing niche of fiber artists.

When we were researching alpacas, we were frustrated that the 'industry' was more focused on breeding than on the wonderful yarns/products the fleece provides. We decided that we wanted to focus on the fleece aspect of alpacas and hoped that the alpaca breeder community would realize that the end product of the fiber provided by these special animals was crucial to the sustainability of the alpaca market.
Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend the Empire Alpaca Association's annual symposium in Albany, and I'm encouraged that the alpaca industry is finally waking up and realizing the importance of developing a fiber market. I spent the whole day in classes and workshops on analyzing fiber and seeing what people are doing with alpaca fleece. My brain was spinning by the time I got home last night, but I'm so thankful I was able to attend. I learned more yesterday about fiber and what makes a good yarn than I have in the five years we've been researching this business. I wish I had known all this before I started spinning. My early yarns are definitely inferior to the yarns I plan on producing now!

When I arrived home last night it looked like spring had sprung in my kitchen! Wayne and the kids had decorated the cupboards and hutch with pictures taken around the farm last summer. It was a welcome reminder that in a few weeks, the snow will be gone and green will return.
Stay tuned for future developments of our dreams!

1 comment:

sue said...

This sounds SO EXCITING and it will be such fun to see where the Good Lord leads you in this new adventure!!! It was just great talking with Wayne the other day, he really sounded wonderful and very encouraged by this new "treatment".... I told him I am still planning a get away to your farm... maybe not soon, but it will happen.... keep those blogs coming....