Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day at the Fair

Several times throughout the past few months I've heard, "Mom, are we going to do anything fun this summer?" For some reason gardening, animal care, stripping out walls, moving rocks, etc. has not registered on the 'fun meter' for certain members of the family. Today we decided to do something 'fun'.

We went to the Otsego County fair (our county) a few years ago and were quite disappointed in the atmosphere. It was not a positive environment for the kids. We have heard that Delaware County fair is the best in the area, and after sharing our concerns with some experienced 'fair goers' were assured that Delaware County fair was definitely a great place to take the family. After today's experience, we wholeheartedly agree!

We started off checking out the animals. Rachael and Jonathan were trying to show you just how big this draft horse was, but since he had just received his breakfast he was not in the mood to pose.I enjoy going through the exhibit halls and admiring the handwork entries. The quilts are beautiful and I like checking out the judges' comments. Maybe by reading the comments some day I'll have a quilt that's 'fair worthy'.The kids got bored with the exhibits but were happy to find a slide/swing display right outside the main hall. When Wayne and I came back out they were taking advantage of the shaded seating.Jonathan's day was made when he found the fire safety tent. They had lots of freebies and he was able to try on real fire boots. He was disappointed to discover that those weren't a freebie.
He answered all the questions correctly on the fire safety puzzle.
I think we finally did something to hit the 'fun meter'! I, Wayne here, am very thankful that I could get up and go to the fair with the family. The last few weeks have been very low, but today God blessed with the strength and energy to enjoy walking around the fair with my beautiful faithful loving (Proverbs 31) wife and our children. I love seeing life through their eyes and reinforcing how God shows his unending love for us through his own creativity and that of others. Thanks for the prayers for Linda and I, we pray God's best for you too!

1 comment:

sue said...

OH!!!! I am SO happy you all got to go!!! Linda said the other day that you were considering it!!! NOW< I am very pleased with that horse picture, because from what I could tell it was a PERCHERON!!! THE BEST!!! (course that fact that we have two doesn't have a thing to do with it!!) and I loved seeing our future firefighter!!! next trip to Maine, I promise a visit to the fire station.... so glad to hear that Wayne is doing better, I pray all the time for him (you)... great blog, nice way for me to close the day!!!!