Sunday, October 19, 2008

Rhinebeck

This weekend is a big event in the fiber world...Rhinebeck...which is where the NY State Wool and Fiber Festival is held. The festival has dozens of vendors and displays all featuring some aspect of fiber processing. It's a feast for the eyes and a source of inspiration for new projects and ideas. Last year was my first time at Rhinebeck. We had hoped that Wayne would be able to attend with me this year, but the ride is too much for his back. He encouraged me to go without him.
Rhinebeck, NY is on the other side of the Catskill Mountains and the Hudson River. The drive is beautiful anytime of year, but yesterday it was gorgeous with the fall colors. If I had had a camera with me, it would have taken me a lot longer than the 2 hours because I would have stopped to take dozens of pictures.
I arrived right around 9 a.m. The line to the fairgrounds was about 1/2 a mile long, but they moved the cars in rapidly. By the time I left, the parking area held 100's of cars and at least 12 buses. I was glad I got there early!
It took a great deal of self-control, but I only bought 1 pound of fiber to spin, a book, and a couple of things for the girls for Christmas. It was a wonderful day of being with fiber people and I have all sorts of ideas for new projects for the months ahead. Now to find the time!

1 comment:

sue said...

I totally agree, along with "fiber things" they should really sell some "time"....